Using Your LA HAP Benefits
LA HAP has 2 parts: the Louisiana Drug Assistance Program (L-DAP) and the Health Insurance Program (HIP). You can find our full Policy & Procedures Manual here.
If you do not have health insurance, you only have L-DAP services. That means that LA HAP only pays for your medications which are on their formulary. You can present your LA HAP card at any pharmacy in the LA HAP uninsured network to pay for your medication. If you don’t live near a pharmacy, some offer mail delivery.
- Formulary for LA HAP Uninsured Clients
- LA HAP Pharmacy Network (uninsured network notated in 2nd column)
If you have health insurance, you have both L-DAP and HIP services. That means LA HAP can pay the copay, coinsurance or deductible on most medications which are covered by your insurance company. LA HAP can also pay for many or all of the medical, dental and vision costs that your insurance company doesn’t cover, such as your monthly premiums and the copay, coinsurance or deductible when you visit the doctor. What is covered is based on what services you applied for on your LA HAP application. Here are some things to keep in mind about your visit:
When you go to the pharmacist:
- Make sure you are visiting a pharmacy that is in BOTH the LA HAP network and in your primary insurer’s network.
- LA HAP Pharmacy Network (insured network notated in 1st column)
- Give the pharmacist your insurance card first to pay for most of the drug.
- Give the pharmacist your LA HAP card second to pay for any copay, coinsurance or deductible remaining.
More Resources for
LA HAP Members
Remember that you must recertify for LA HAP every 6 months. Your service expiration date is found on the bottom of your LA HAP card. And everything you need to recertify is here!
When you go to the doctor:
- Your LA HAP card tells you which services you’re approved for. If you’re approved for “health copays and deductibles” and/or “dental copays and deductibles,” you can bill HIP for those costs when you go to your provider.
- EXCEPTIONS: HIP cannot cover costs associated with an inpatient hospital stay. They also can’t cover anything that’s not on your insurer’s Schedule of Benefits.
- When you choose a provider, make sure that they are in your insurance company’s network.
- It is very important that you let your providers know about HIP BEFORE your visit. HIP cannot reimburse you for anything you pay yourself.
- The HIP Provider Packet is something helpful that you can give to your doctor’s staff to explain the program.
- HIP staff are also happy to explain the program to your provider. You can call them at 225-424-1799.
- Give the billing specialist your insurance card first to pay for most of your visit.
- Give the billing specialist your LA HAP card second to pay for any copay, coinsurance or deductible remaining.